So last week, I had kohlrabi ( or german turnip ) for the first time in my life and to my surprise i actually loved it! It was crunchy but with a very sweet mild taste ( almost like the sweetness of carrots ) and my immediate thought was that it would taste great in a cake, so naturally i looked up dessert recipes that might have included kohlrabi but came up with nothing.
I literally love the taste of kohlrabi so much that i've been eating it nearly everyday since and i ask myself WHERE HAS THIS HEAVENLY BULB BEEN HIDING ALL MY LIFE?, I could have been turned onto vegetables much sooner than the age of 15. But oh well, better late than never. This is basically when i came up with the idea to make a sweet loaf that included kohlrabi, despite my friends confused reactions ( but it secretly motivated me even more to make this recipe work hihi, shhh )
Since kohlrabi is naturally sweet, i figured that the loaf needed something tangy to even out the flavour, thus the addition of blackberries. Honestly who would have thought that blackberries and kohlrabi would exist in perfect harmony on the palate, coupled with lemon cream cheese frosting = party in my mouth!
CAUTION: This is a very moist melt-in-your-mouth loaf, you have been warned.
Ingredients for 1 Loaf ( around 10 slices ):
- 1 1/4 cup of blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1 cup of shredded kohlrabi ( around half a kohlrabi )
- 150g of blackberries ( i used frozen but fresh would probably be better )
- A pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 vanilla bean pod ( or a teaspoon of vanilla extract )
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup of xylitol ( or sugar if you're not doing low carb )
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup soy milk ( or any milk of your choice )
Ingredients for Low Carb Lemon Cream Cheese Topping ( Optional ):
- 100g-130g of cream cheese
- 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice
- 10-15 drops of liquid stevia ( adjust to taste )
- Preheat your oven to 175 °C ( 350 farenheit ) and line your loaf tin with parchment paper or spray some cooking oil/butter.
- In a bowl mix together your dry ingredients ( almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, xylitol, cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and salt ).
- Add in the wet ingredients ( eggs, soy milk and apple sauce ) and mix with the dry ingredients until everything is incorporated.
- Mix in the shredded kohlrabi and follow that by gently folding in the black berries ( by gentle i mean you want to try to prevent the berries from popping ).
- Add the batter into you loaf tin and bake for approximately 1 hour.
- ( Optional step ) Whilst your loaf is baking whip up all the ingredients for the lemon cream cheese topping ( or any of your favourite toppings! ).
- Turn off your oven and leave it in for another 20 minutes before taking it out to cool completely. ( Optional step ) When your loaf is cooled, spread your topping evenly and there you have it! Super moist kohlrabi & blackberry loaf. Nomnomnom.
1 slice ( excluding topping ) contains: 140.7 calories, 8.6 g of fat , 7.4 g of carbs ( 4 g of fiber = 3.4 net carbs ) & 5.7 of protein.